<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.whentaniatalks.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
whentaniatalks: Getting The Most From Your Appointment - Preparation

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Getting The Most From Your Appointment - Preparation

Hi Everyone!

SO this coming Monday I've FINALLY got my second opinion rheumatology appointment. During my initial appointment I didn't remember a lot of the answers to questions I was being asked. I also didn't have some of the related diagnosis I now have - IBS springs to mind. I also gave some incorrect answers to questions as I was asked as I was seen during a 'good' period & had forgotten things like the difficulties I have sleeping when I'm in a lot of pain.

I really want to make sure I get the most out of this appointment, so I've compiled some notes, in bullet point form, to take with me in order to jog my memory! I thought it might be helpful for some of you to see how I've organised my notes.

I've compiled these from my symptoms, but also researched about Hypermobility/Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome to make sure I haven't overlooked any symptoms I experience like I did in my original appointment. When you've a lot of symptoms going on at once, it's tough to remember them all! This list has been compiled over a number of months - I could never just sit down & write it all in one go!

Rheumatology Appointment

History

  • Family history -  Sister diagnosed with EDS, Reynards & Scoliosis. Whole of Father’s side of the family symptomatic
  • Growing pains & high energy levels as a child
  • Migraine
  • Allergies, including Asthma, Eczema & Hayfever
  • PMS
  • PTSD
  • Lichen Sclerosis

Joints


  • Chronic joint pain (widespread & localised)
  • Hip & jaw subluxation
  • TMJ dysfunction
  • Insides catching on rib
  • Clicky joints & stiffness
  • Shoulder ‘injury’ & subsequent sprain(?) of one of the trapezius muscles, though possibly a sublaxation

Digestive

  • IBS, including bloating
  • Toilet issues – a change in sensation, not feeling normal ‘need to poo’ but experiencing pain & tingling of my bottom. When doing a wee, experiencing a feeling of not being connected to my body & the sensation of urination


Skin & Sensation

  • Bruise easily
  • Low platelet count
  • Pins & needles & numbness
  • Cold extremities
  • Feeling of cold rushing down the inside of my lower legs on standing

Stamina

  • Fatigue
  • Paralysis of face (& body) during some periods of fatigue
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Clumsy, difficulties with proprioception & coordination
  • Poor core stability
  • Brain fog
  • Concentration difficulties
  • Dizziness
  • Quick & emphasised heart beat
  • Sudden intense sweating

I'm going to take this list, along with my repeat prescription. I find this helps medical professionals as they can see spellings of drug names & doses.

I really hope this was helpful! Have you any tips for preparing for  medical appointment?

Tania Xx

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 29 October 2014 at 12:46 , Anonymous Hayley- Eszti said...

This is so helpful and I'm sure it will be warmly welcomed by people about to have an appointment. I always dread appointments because I can never remember things well enough when I'm on the spot so I always write things down or take a family member in with me who can 'back me up' if need be. I hope today is being kind to you lovely!

 
At 29 October 2014 at 15:11 , Anonymous Tania Jayne said...

Thank you Hayley! It's so tough to remember everything, especially when you're feeling really ill at the time! It's great that Drs can see how much you struggle when you're really ill, but it doesn't help when you can't give them the information they want & need! I take someone along when I can too, it's good for Drs to hear things from the view of someone seeing you struggling too. Xx

 
At 2 November 2014 at 18:00 , Anonymous Rachel said...

Good luck with your appointment. I think it's definitely a good idea to take notes like this with you - I've done similar in the past and found that it helps when you are asked lots of questions on the spot.
Rachel x Strawberry Sundaes

 
At 3 November 2014 at 21:23 , Anonymous Tania Jayne said...

Thanks Rachel! I wouldn't've remembered so many pieces of information without it! I had to make notes of questions too - glad I did! Xx

 
At 5 November 2014 at 23:26 , Anonymous Beth Griffiths said...

Great post. I always have to take notes and lists with me, although I forgot my list a few times which didnt help. I also go through things with a family member before & take them with me so they can help.
Beth x
Mermaid in Disguise

 
At 10 November 2014 at 18:19 , Anonymous Tania Jayne said...

Thanks Beth! If I've someone who's able, I'll take them along with me - for moral support if nothing else! Xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home